Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Passover: None of Us is Free Until All of Us Are Free

My rabbi wrote this on our synagogue's Facebook page next to a picture of Manisheweitz matzoh meal: "This is not an endorsement of any particular brand of matzoh; it's simply a gentle reminder that the season of liberation is upon us. The most important issue is drilling down to the bedrock message of the Passover story: tyrany and oppression are offensive to God and must be forcefully opposed and overturned. None of us is free until all of us are free."

Pesach is my favorite Jewish holiday because it is both somber and joyous, and those two feelings come full circle at the seder. We remember with sadness the ancient Hebrews who toiled as slaves at the hands of a cruel government.

We celebrate their liberation. Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel says that after G-d's deliverance of the Israelites, "an allusion to the need for every man's own quest for God was seen homiletically in the Song of the Red Sea:

"This is my G-d, and I will glorify Him;
The G-d of my father, and I will exalt Him."



For thousands of years since the Hebrew exodus, Jews have suffered the oppression of cruel leaders time and again, through ethnic/religious discrimination, forced emigration, and genocide. Today our position in the world is better than ever. We are seen as an influential, powerful ethnic group with a vibrant culture and have contributed mightily as architects of the world.

The most recent Out Magazine says, "Without the Jews, much of 20th century culture would look very different, and we'll never know what future geniuses were lost to us in the ovens of Auschwitz."

There is still a great deal of anti-Semitism in the world. But like I always say, we should balance that awful knowledge with the equally valid point that Jews are popular. For every racist loser tweeting about "the Jewish lobby" from his parent's basement, there are countless others who support us. Most of my friends are enthusiastically interested in my religion and heritage, especially Muslims and Christians.

Aside from the ever-present hatred of Jews in some quarters, we lead much more comfortable lives than our parents did. Today, gay is the new Jewish. Mexican is the new Jewish. "None of us is free until all of us are free." That means we will not truly be free until gays are granted equal rights, until state governments stop separating immigrants from their families, until becoming an American citizen is as easy as owning a lethal firearm, until countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Uganda stop murdering/imprisoning their own gay citizens, until Israel stops war-mongering in the name of self-defense, until Palestinians have their own state.

Somber, joyous; symbolic, practical. And that's just the seder. The first night of Passover really is different from all other nights.

5 comments:

Rachel Abramowitz said...

Hello Capecodkwassa,

It sounds like you have a great rabbi.

How observant are you? I think it's very commendable that you're so involved and try to get your views out there.

May I ask, why are you so hard on Israel? That was the only part of this I didn't like, but it seems like you're not a sellout just very critical. But other than that, I love your writings.

tokugawa smile said...

Hey Rachel.

My rabbi is indeed wonderful. I fast on Yom Kippur, my family has a seder on Pesach, I'm involved with my synagogue, and I keep kosher on holy days. But my shul attendance is sporadic. I want to get to a point where I keep at least some level of kosher consistently, and I want to wear my kippah more often.

I don't think I'm hard on Israel. I defend Israel when I think people are being unfair, abusive, or applying double standards regarding Israel. I have made aliyah and it's one of my favorite foreign countries to visit. The gay scene is great, and I've stuffed many a prayer into the Western Wall.

But like the government's recent slap in the face to Biden, Israel does shitty things on a nearly constant basis. They're expanding settlements in the area of Jerusalem that should serve as a future Palestinian capital, and Israel is occupying Gaza in a cruel, inhumane way.

Return to pre-1967 borders, freeze all settlements, end the occupation, stop discriminating against Arab Israelis, and make a genuine effort to help build a Palestinian state, and we would have a solid groundwork for peace.

And something Israel should take care of that NOBODY ever mentions: stop discriminating against Jews. Most of the world's Jews are NOT Orthodox, and yet in Israel it's pretty much the Orthodox way or the secular highway. Which is why most Jewish Israelis choose to secularism. If they had the choice, they would probably love to go to the synagogue or temple of their choice, just like those of us in the Diaspora.

It's really amazing. Israel contains mosques and tons of churches (as they should) but the powerful Orthodox rabbinate makes sure there are very few Conservative synagogues or Reform temples. Also, Jews who are Jewish through their fathers face discriminatory citizenship policies, as do Jews-by-choice who converted through C or R Judaism.

Those are the problems I have with Israel. I support Israel but Israel does not support me.

Rachel Abramowitz said...

I just made aliyah this year!! I did it through Birthright, did you?

You have given me a lot to think about regarding Israel. I appreciate your candor and willingness to talk about it.

What is your favorite thing to do in Israel? Have you ever been to New York?

Rachel Abramowitz said...

Oh and keeping kosher can be hard especially if you do not live in a big metropolitan area.

The key is to do what you're comfortable with and not let other Jews define Judaism for you.

tokugawa smile said...

My favorite thing to do in Israel is go to the gay clubs in Tel Aviv. They have some of the best ones I've been to. I also like a restaurant in Jerusalem called Negev.

Yes, I used to live in New York. I love it and desperately want to go back. I'd rather live there than Israel, and part of the reason is that I can actually go to synagogue in New York!!